Not your old grandfather’s Robert Burns celebration!
By all reports, Robert Burns was a man who liked to have a good time. On the eve of the 256th anniversary of his birthday (January 25, 1759) we are going to honor the man and his still-vibrant legacy by behaving accordingly. Come join us and experience the traditional Burns Supper ceremony with a contemporary twist (or three).
Included in the ticket price:
- A simple traditional Scottish meal prepared by Butcher On Butler (yes, there will be haggis)
- A Highland Malt Punch upon arrival and several additonal wee drams for toasting, provided by Wigle Whiskey (a cash bar will also be available)
- Walker’s Shortbread
- Coffee by Espresso a Mano
- Aaron Chapman, former member of The Real McKenzies and The Town Pants, in the role of The Chairman
- The “Immortal Memory” speech delivered by Joey Spehar and Robert Spehar
- Bagpiping by Liz Cherry
- The Barleycorn Bards Band, featuring Danny Rectenwald, Guy Russo, Terry Schiebel, Ryan Macel, Chris Klehm, Nick Haberman and Amber and Michael Buric
- A troupe of dancing lassies WITH SWORDS led by Jennifer Jemeena Marino (nee Kerr)
- The entire Burns Supper ceremony, including the Selkirk Grace, piping in the haggis, toasts to the Lassies and Laddies, and more . . .
The evening will enthusiastically and emphatically feature the music and poetry of Robert Burns, highlighting bawdier selections from The Merry Muses of Caledonia. Stay home if you are easily offended! Come prepared with a toast or poem to share. And wear your dancing boots.
Informal Scottish or Scottish-inspired attire suggested. Prizes will be awarded for best female and male outfits. Men are encouraged to wear kilts, or an approximation thereof. Need a kilt? You can grab one from Damn Near Kilt ‘Em on Amazon, and coupon code “BandKilt” gets you a 20% discount!
Just 100 tickets will be released for this event.
Want to learn more about Robert Burns and the Burns Supper tradition? Look here: RobertBurns.org.